Since the release of the Terms of Reference for the Research, Development and Innovation Organizational Landscape Review (RDI Landscape Review), an active program of engagement has been led by the lead reviewer, Sir Paul Nurse . This commitment was supported by a secretariat team based at BEIS.
We engage widely across the RDI landscape, talking to public, private and third sector research organizations across different sectors and scientific disciplines, and across all regions of the UK. Since January 2022, conversations have taken place with the following types of organizations:
- research institutes (public, private and co-funded)
- public sector research institutions
- the universities
- commercial and industrial organizations
- national academies
- independent research and technology organizations
The commitment for the review continues until the beginning of this year.
Review of the RDI landscape: framing group and sounding board
Sir Paul Nurse has brought together a group of representatives from the research, development and innovation landscape based in the UK and overseas, to support the development of the RDI landscape review. Members are invited to contribute their experience and expertise, comment on emerging reflections from the review, and offer constructive challenges. Membership attracts no compensation.
A framing group has supported Sir Paul Nurse to this day. The scoping group will also now be part of a larger think tank that will comment on drafts of the report. The expected publication of a final report on the review is expected in early summer 2022.
The scoping group and sounding board will be supported by the BEIS secretariat.
Members of the framing group
- Lord David Willets PC FRS HonFRSC FAcSS, Chairman, Resolution Foundation
- Sir Anton Muscatelli FRSE FAcSS, Principal, University of Glasgow
- Sir Adrian Bird CBE FRS FRSE FMedSci, Buchanan Professor of Genetics, University of Edinburgh
- Demis Hassabis CBE FRS FREng FRSA, CEO, DeepMind
- Professor Nicole Grobert, Professor of Nanomaterials and Associate Head of Department (Research), Department of Materials, Corpus Christi College, University of Oxford
- Grazia Vittadini, Chief Technology and Strategy Officer, Rolls-Royce PLC
Other members of the task force
- Dr. Erin O’Shea, President, Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI)
- Dr Fabiola Gianotti, Director General, European Laboratory for Particle Physics (CERN)
- Dr. Peter Gruss, President and CEO, Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology
- Professor James Naismith FRS FRSE FMedSci, Professor of Structural Biology at the University of Oxford and Director of the Rosalind Franklin Institute
- Professor Andrew Thompson CBE, Professor of World and Imperial History, Nuffield College, University of Oxford
- Dr Anna Valero, Senior Policy Fellow, London School of Economics Center for Economic Performance and Deputy Director, Innovation and Diffusion Program
- Professor Hywel Thomas CBE FREng FRS FLSW, President, Learned Society of Wales
- Prof Sir Menelas (Mene) Pangalos DSc PhD FRSB FMedSci HonFBPhS, EVP & President BioPharmaceuticals R&D, AstraZeneca
- Dr. Adrian Johnston MBE, Director of Strategic Business Development, Catalyst NI
- Havingika Mitra, Business Strategy Director and UKRI Future Leaders Fellow, TISICS Metal Composites
- Dr Paul Howarth FREng, Director General, National Nuclear Laboratory
- Dr. Harold Varmus, Professor of Medicine, Joan & Sanford I. Weill Medical College at Cornell University
- Julia King, Baroness Brown of Cambridge DBE FRS FRAeS FInstP CEng FREng, former Non-Executive Director, Offshore Renewable Energy Catapult and former President of the Sir Henry Royce Institute for Advanced Materials
- Dr Hayaatun Sillem CBE, Chief Executive, Royal Academy of Engineering
RDI Landscape Review: invitation to view
Through our engagement across the organizational landscape, stakeholders continue to share their knowledge and expertise with us about how research organizations and the broader landscape function and work together.
We invite stakeholders who would like to share other views on the review, including thoughts on the R&D landscape and organizations conducting research within it, to send their views to RDstrategy@beis .gov.uk for review during the review process.
Please limit submissions to a maximum of 2,000 words or 4 A4 pages, and include “RDI Landscape Review – Invitation for Views Submission” in the subject line of the email.
Please respond by: 5:00 p.m. on Friday, February 18, 2022.